FSSAI Product Approval
Food is one of the most basic and essential necessities of life, and it is imperative that the food we consume is safe and healthy. With the increasing concerns over food safety, governments around the world have set up regulatory bodies to ensure the safety of the food we consume. In India, the regulatory body responsible for ensuring the safety and quality of food is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
One of the key responsibilities of FSSAI is to regulate the approval of food products before they can be sold in the Indian market. In this article, we will take a closer look at the FSSAI product approval process in India, including the types of food products that require approval, the requirements for approval, and the application process.
Types of Food Products that require FSSAI Product Approval:
All food products that are to be sold in the Indian market need to be approved by FSSAI. However, certain types of food products require additional approval, depending on their nature. The following is a list of food products that require FSSAI product approval in India:
- Novel Foods and Novel Ingredients: Novel Foods and Novel Ingredients are food products or ingredients that have not been used in India before. These foods and ingredients require approval from FSSAI before they can be introduced into the Indian market.
- Food Supplements: Food supplements are products that are intended to supplement the diet and provide additional nutrients. These products also require FSSAI approval before they can be sold in the Indian market.
- Nutraceuticals: Nutraceuticals are products that are derived from food sources and are believed to have health benefits. These products require approval from FSSAI before they can be sold in the Indian market.
- Health Supplements: Health supplements are products that are intended to promote health and well-being. These products also require FSSAI approval before they can be sold in the Indian market.
- Foods for Special Dietary Use: Foods for special dietary use are products that are intended for people with special dietary needs, such as those who are lactose intolerant or gluten intolerant. These products require FSSAI approval before they can be sold in the Indian market.
Requirements for FSSAI Product Approval:
In order to obtain FSSAI product approval, the following requirements must be met:
- Labeling: The label on the food product must comply with the FSSAI labeling regulations. The label must contain information about the product, such as the name, ingredients, nutritional information, and manufacturing details.
- Safety: The food product must be safe for consumption. The safety of the product must be demonstrated through appropriate testing.
- Quality: The food product must meet the FSSAI quality standards. The quality of the product must be demonstrated through appropriate testing